Visit google

Google Reviews


Which Assets Do You Not Pay CGT On?

We not only make sure you pay the right taxes by the right deadlines but help you pay as little tax as possible.  Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is a tax on the profit you make when you sell an asset that has increased in value, but some assets that are exempt from CGT in the UK, including:

  • Your main home. You don’t pay CGT on any gains you make when you sell your main home if you have one home and you’ve lived in it as your main home for all the time you’ve owned it.
  • Personal possessions. You don’t pay CGT on gains you make when you sell personal possessions, like furniture or jewellery, up to your annual exemption of £6000. This means that you don’t pay CGT on gains up to this amount, but you do if you’re lucky enough to be the owner of a Banksy and decide to sell for example.
  • Assets held in an ISA or a SIPP. You don’t pay CGT on gains you make when you sell assets held in an ISA or a SIPP. ISAs and SIPPs are tax-efficient savings and investment accounts.
  • Certain business assets. If you’re self-employed or run a business, you may be able to claim relief from CGT on gains you make when you sell certain business assets, including goodwill and intellectual property.

If you’re unsure whether an asset you’re selling is exempt from CGT,  we can help you work out whether you have to pay CGT and what you’ll have to pay. 

Extra tips about CGT and assets

Check out these extra tips to help you keep on top of any potential CGT tax liabilities:

  • Keep good records. It’s important to keep good records of all of your assets, including the date you bought them, the amount paid and any improvements you’ve made to them. This helps you calculate the gains when you sell the asset and makes sure you don’t overpay CGT.
  • Report your gains. If you sell a residential home subject to CGT, you must report the gains to HMRC within 60 days.

If you’re unsure about CGT, always seek professional help. We can help you calculate your gains, show you how to report them to HMRC and make sure you’re not paying more than you need to.